If you or someone you know would like to become a referee...
Benefits to being a referee :
- Earn money !
- Understand the Laws of the game better!
- Teach and role model for better and more positive behavior from players, coaches, parents and fans.
- Have fun - and did we mention earning extra $$$$$$$'s !
Assignments are available for Tournaments, Club matches, Recreational games and Adult league.
Begineer certification training sessions are held locally in the spring in conjunction with web based testing.
See the U.S. Soccer Learning Center link below for course listings.
Licensing is through the United States Soccer Federation.
Laws of the Game
US Youth Soccer Law Adjustments for Age
2018 7v7 Build Out Line Laws: MYSA
Montana Soccer Referee Program - Your go to site for referee information
Montana Soccer Referee Program
U.S. Soccer Learning Center
California North Referee Videos
Any questions ? Please Contact Us
Want to be a Referee ?
New / Beginner Referees....
For the latest updates and best information, please visit: Montana Soccer Referee Program
See Here is a check list to guide you through the process
- Create an account at the US Soccer Learning Center
- Sign up for a beginner course in the Learning Center
- Take and pass the on-line course(s), including SafeSport
- Complete a background check if 18 or older
- Attend and complete the classroom and or field training session(s).
- You will be issued a USSF ID# and a badge will be mailed to you
- Create a referee account in GotSport
- Complete the Referee Information in your GotSport account
- Be certified by the State
- Choose Events and Tournaments you would like to work
- Assignor will contact certified referees by email for match availablity
For Entry Level / Beginner Referees .... Here is an overview of the process and how to get assignments
There are two referee accounts required: US Soccer and Demosphere.
US Soccer is for course work/training and Demosphere is for assignments.
At the US Soccer Learning Center
- create an account
- pay for and complete the background check if 18 or older
- pay the fee and take the on-line test for the appropriate course(s)
- the background check must be completed before testing can be done. The are also SafeSport Modules to complete which can be done before the background check clears.
After successful completion of the on-line test, attend the classroom/field training sessions.
After successful completion of the on-line and classroom/field training, a grade 8 referee certification is issued.
You will then need to create a Demosphere referee account after completion of the training. The state will then certify your training to be eligble to referee.
Referees need to pick EVENTS to be assigned to such as Montana State Spring League.
Most Tournaments also use Demosphere so sign up for TOURNAMENTS as they become available.
The HYSL, Helena Youth Soccer League (formerly Recreational league) is a great place to pick up assignments and experience. The Recreational League does assigning off-line, so contact the HYSL if looking for work on Sunday afternoons. The email is: Helena Assignor
Referee Certification Courses
On-line training & Field Work Sessiions
On-line course work for referees opens in early January...
Register to take the certification course as a new referee or sign in to renew at US Soccer
Choose the appropriate course with background check, SafeSport Modules and testing.
For referees with 3 years or less experience, the classroom and field training session dates will be announced.
The fee is paid on-line at registration.
Depending on their experience level, participants may need to:
- complete the on-line course the Thursday before they come to the classroom session
- attend the entire classroom session
- attend the field session when the weather allows use of a dry flat space outside, probably in late March.
Classroom / Fieldwork participants should bring a lunch, snack, drinks.
Location of classes to be determined and will be announced.
Enroll now and get to work on the latest on-line modules !
Officials of the Year for 2017
Boasting some of the best referees in the State!
We are proud to announce the accomplishments of our locally trained soccer referees Cannon Colegrove Grade 8 and Gezer Garcia da Silva Grade 7 being named Officials of the Year for the State of Montana.
Scott Lockwood reports, " Not only do we have the best players and complex but some of the best referees in the state! "
Mark Beckman, the Executive Director of the Montana High School Association, recently announced the 2017 National Federation of State High School Association (NFHS) Officials of the Year for the State of Montana.
Nominees for this award must exemplify the highest standards of ethical conduct, moral character and carry the endorsement of their respective state high school association.
The Montana Officials Association (MOA) and the Montana High School Association (MHSA) are proud to have these officials included in that group.